Musings of Her Bratness

How to Humble an American Expat



It's no huge secret that I'm an American living in the UK. I've been here for 7 years now, married to a British fellow.
This has been one of the biggest adventures of my life and sometimes I forget that when I get caught up in the day to day life stuff.

When I started Posh Brats and opened my first retail shop here in the UK I had to re-learn everything I thought I knew about sales.
I was always told I could sell dirt to ditch diggers.... and I believed that.
My experience had told me that I was good at talking to people and truly LISTENING and that I had an almost sixth sense about knowing what people wanted.

I also was full of myself (As most of us Americans are truthfully.); I believed that my Southern girl charm, warmth, and friendliness would only benefit me here in the UK.

That first day I opened my shop for business; I dressed carefully and made sure I projected a professional appearance. The hair, clothing, make-up and nails were all perfect. The shop was shining and spotless. A freshly ground and brewed pot of gourmet coffee was sitting at the back waiting to be offered free to customers. Baskets of free product samples sat out waiting for enthusiastic people to snap them up.

About 4 different people came in at once and in my overblown 'Howdy- ya'll- Ellie Mae Clampett' kinda way I greeted everyone.
 Before the words, Free Coffee, Free Samples, and Try This could leave my mouth; Every. Last. Person had hot-stepped it OUT of the shop.

I shrugged it off and waited for more people, someone else came in and the same thing happened. Then again. And Again.
Finally, my husband who had been quietly sitting back by the cash register, spoke. "Sweets, maybe you're being TOO friendly?"

Too friendly? Really? In Sales? This went against everything I had learned over the years and I quickly told him he didn't know what he was talking about. After all, he's a lawyer...I'M the sales person by heart...right?

By mid-morning I began to wonder if, for once, he was right.
He very gently pointed out to me that as a rule British people are not terribly talkative, friendly, open or even USED to great customer service.
The fact is, bad customer service is what this country seems to run on. It's what people expect to the point of it being almost a joke.
 Furthermore, he pointed out to me, they aren't exactly used to full-blown American girls with syrupy Southern accents suddenly popping up in a small village in northwest England.

I was just traumatized enough by the fleeing customers to realize that perhaps he was right. When the next person came in I said "Hello, my name is Brittany. If you have any questions or need anything, please let me know." and left it at that.

The person walked a couple times around the shop picking things up and sniffing, then smiled at me and asked where in America I was from. Well then it was easy....a conversation started. A connection was made with personal details and THEN I was able to slip easily into sales mode.



It took me a few weeks but as I came to learn about different walks of British society; I also came to learn instinctively how to speak to them. As they got to know me, they encouraged more of my 'Americanism' to emerge by engaging me as a friend.

What I NEVER let go of was my level of customer service. THAT part of me was and is distinctly American and I believe it's been one of the biggest reasons Posh Brats has grown so quickly. Yes, it helps that we have amazing, natural products BUT.....always putting the customer first and speaking to them as a real person and a friend makes all the difference in the world.

Here are a few tips I learned from the inspiration author Robin Sharma.


4 Keys To Delighting Your Customers

1. Talk To Your Customers: A problem is nothing more than an opportunity to engage and wow the people who keep you in business.

2. Say You’re Sorry: I’m a fanatic about leadership language. Words have such power. Better to just give the facts – and hold off on the emotion. But even more importantly, say “sorry” when you need to say sorry.

3. Show Your Customers a Little Humanity: Decency amidst adversity. If there is a problem you can't come to agreement on, think of the situation from their side. Sometimes being right isn't as important as being kind and decent.

4. Go Beyond Expectations: Most businesses don’t even deliver on what they promise in their advertising and sloganeering.
Business brilliance is pretty simple. Maybe not easy.  But pretty simple. And it begins with caring about the people who keep you going.




No comments:

Post a Comment